Reasons why the Cut was bad
- SCSU has only one of two Bachelors of Science in Aviation programs in the state of MN that have their own faculty with the other one being MSU-Mankato. SCSU is the only accredited Aviation program in the state of MN by the AABI (Aviation Accreditation Board International: www.aabi.aero) and only one of three accredited in Aviation in the north central region of the US. MN Crookston only has one person in their Aviation Department who is employed directly by the university. All other aviation staff at Crookston are contracted by UND. Winona State only has a minor in aviation.
- There were other programs at SCSU that were losing more money than the Aviation Program such as Nursing, Computer Science, and Mechanical Engineering.
- There are programs that are more expensive than the Aviation Program and yet have very low enrollment and have too many faculty such as the Masters in Social Responsibility.
- The Cut will have a major impact to the Business Community and the St. Cloud Airport. The St. Cloud airport will see a 49% drop in takeoffs and landings due to the closure of the aviation program.
- There are only 6 Air Traffic-Collegiate Training Initiative program in the whole Midwest, 5 are Bachelors level programs and one is an Associate level program. They are UND, Western Michigan University, St. Cloud State University, Purdue University, Kent State University, and Minneapolis Community and Technical College. You can find this info here